Monday, October 25, 2010

Seoraksan

Finally catching up on some overdue posts....

Two weekends ago, I went on a hiking trip to Seorak Mountain. I'd been wanting to hike Seoraksan for months and finally got to do it! Man oh MAN it was a long hike - - we were gone from the bus for a total of 15 hours....and hiked for 12 of those hours. I was a wee bit sore last week. We bused overnight, arrived at the mountain at 2:30am and started the hike at 3:00am. In the dark. With one head lamp between the three of us. I spent the next roughly three+ hours stalking other hikers with bright head lamps so I could see well enough not to fall off any rocks or sprain an ankle. Thankfully, the sun came up at around 6:00am so we could move a little faster. 

We reached the peak by 8ish. It was windy at the peak but beautiful and we were able to relax inside a shelter for a couple of hours to warm up and eat some snacks. The best part of the hike was the last four hours of the descent. I'd been wanting to hike this mountain because I'd heard the fall leaves are gorgeous. But I hadn't really seen much color in the first 7 hours so I was starting to feel a little bummed. Thankfully, the leaves at the end of the trail were beautiful! Please see for yourselves if you don't believe me. And I'm a little offended that you don't believe me...



3:00am start :) My hiking buddies/coworkers: Erica and Tim.



Sunrise, finally! No more relying on horrible night vision. Ankles intact. Members of hiking group accounted for.

An early sign of fall leaves.


Near the peak.

The peak!

It was freeeeezing at the peak. We were so happy to reach the shelter and warm up for a couple of hours. The shelter was a half hour hike from the peak. Most of our fellow hikers felt that reaching the shelter was enough. But not us. We hiked to the very highest point on mainland Korea. :) And then we went back to the shelter for another warm-up session before starting out again.

Made some friends along the way. That's Rachel from Texas. She lit Erica's way in the morning hours with her 'torch', as flashlights and head lamps are called here. We met a lot of nice people. A local climber tapped me on the shoulder as I was climbing some rocks and handed me a pair of gloves. I felt bad accepting them since I figured I'd never see her again! But she insisted and, well, it was cold and the gloves were lovely and warm. :)





















I thought it was beautiful. And of course I think these pictures just can't quite capture the colors. It. Was. Gorgeous.

I wonder if the sights in Minnesota are as beautiful as this? Or possibly more beautiful?! I've heard good things and I remember some fall bike trips in Southern MN with some beautiful leaves.  Sadly, I haven't done much hiking in MN but I can't wait start. 

IN FOUR MONTHS!!!!!! :)

Oh and we also stayed overnight in Sokcho and had lunch and some time at za beach before heading back to Seoul...

Delicious pajeon, tofu, bibimbop & other random side dishes. Even some potatoes! YUM!




1 comment:

  1. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeesh! Gorgeous. And a 3:00 AM start time?! Yowzas!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete