Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Almost payday!!

It's so close! I can taste it!! I'm pretty sure the money will already be in my bank account when I wake up in the morning. Dun dun dunnnnn.

Most of us new teachers have been living off of our first paycheck which was not huge. We received half a month's wages minus some hefty apartment deposits and utility charges. The things I will do with a little more cash...I've made a list:

- Get a haircut
- Officially register for the 10k race (gulp)
- Eat something other than kimbap and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (but only sometimes. I really, really like kimbap and PB and J. And bugles. I can't stop eating the bugles here.)
- Possibly buy a Korean cell phone. I haven't made up my mind on this. I've felt so free without a phone...but it would be nice to be reachable when fun things come up.
- Buy a bedside lamp. I've got my eye on a 40,000 wan lamp just down the street from my apartment. It's calling my name.
- Send some money home to pay bills...this one is not very exciting.
- Spend some money on food, travel, and fun stuff when my friends Payal, Kristi and Matt arrive NEXT WEEK! :)

Payal is a good friend from DC and the SECOND former coworker to visit me in Seoul (first was Ms. LaToya)! And actually I just learned that a THIRD former DC coworker, Lilia, will be laying over in Seoul in two weeks so we plan to meet for dinner. I love it I love it I love it.

Kristi and Matt are friends from Minnesota. Kristi and I went to college together and caught up this fall when I moved home for a few months. They love to travel and were looking for a new destination. Baum. Seoul. Done and done. ;) Can't wait!

Alrighty, time to study some Korean numbers and greetings. Please enjoy a few photos from this last week.

Anyeong hi ge seyo!

Kelly



These beautiful flowers are blossoming all over the city. I LOVE THEM!


Had my first noraebong (karaoke) experience with the preschool teachers on Friday. I'm going to force all visitors to do this with me. It was amazing.


Rocking out to Bohemian Rhapsody with Sam Teacher.


Hiked Bukhan Mountain on Saturday with some coworkers. This is only about half of the group. Some of us got separated during the hike. But don't worry...we found our way to the restaurant for a free lunch from the school (thanks, SLP!).


Not a nice day but I'm going to post this as the 'before' picture. Hopefully I'll hike again when it's sunny and green and lovely. Oh, and that's a human at the top of the peak.


It was steep. We got a good workout.

More flowers! We went to Yeouido Island on Sunday to catch the front end of the Cherry Blossom Festival. We're going again on Saturday. All of the flowers should be in bloom by then. I cannot wait. I think some of you remember my obsession with cherry blossoms in DC. I'm just so happy to see them everywhere in Seoul!

2 comments:

  1. Kelly, my adventurous friend:

    Looks like you are having an amazing time. I hoep that paycheck came in, and much luck on that 10K. I, too, hate running, but you feel pretty damn good when you finish a race.

    I need to figure Skype out soon- I want to hear about your kiddos!

    PS Gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever buy that cell phone? =)

    ReplyDelete